Friday, June 24, 2011

What a Difference 2 Months Makes!

I just got back from Salem's fifth hoof trim and, WOW, his hooves are finally starting to look great! When he got here on April 16th, his hooves were overgrown, flared, chipped, and cracked. There was major white line separation everywhere, his rear frogs were totally crooked (the RH was so funky that Candy called it his "Picasso hoof!"), and there was fungus lurking in every little nook and cranny. But thanks to Candy's great trims, his hooves are almost back to where they were last April.

So, let's get to the pictures! I have to apologize that I don't have the same angles for the "before" pics and the current pics, but I think you'll get the idea. This first set is Before/After of the left front:


Left Front April 23rd


Left Front June 24


Before

After

Before


After


Before


After

Thankfully, all of the fungus that was infesting Salem's hooves has been killed (yyyaaaaay, Gas Chamber Hoof!). And I'm finally seeing some nice tight white lines and a bit of concavity. I won't bore you with Before/After pics of every hoof, so here are the rest of today's hoof pics:



Right Front


Right Front


Hinds (I think -- ??)


Right Hind


Right Hind


Right Hind


Left Hind


Left Hind


Give us another month or two and Salem will have some perfect little rock-cruncher hooves. :-) I am SO thankful that I have such a wonderful trimmer; so let me give a big shout-out to Candy Giordano!  She has done an amazing job with Salem and if it wasn't for her, Salem would probably be in shoes. For anyone looking for an incredibly balanced barefoot trim, I highly suggest contacting Cheryl Henderson of The Oregon School of Natural Hoofcare and getting the name of an OSNH-certified trimmer; Candy is certified through them and I have to say that this method of trimming is by far the best that I've seen.

8 comments:

eventer79 said...

So that's what feet look like when they don't live in Carolina hoof-hell!

Frizzle said...

We're in Monsoon Season right now, so it's definitely Hoof Hell here, as well. That's what Keratex Hoof Gel and Gas Chamber Hoof are for! ;-)

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

I can't wait to give it a try..thanks for all your input, etc! Salem's hooves really look TIIIIGHT! Damn. Cheryl is awesome too I have to say, just by phone!

Frizzle said...

Yay, Kristen, I'm so excited for you! I've never spoken to Cheryl myself. I found Candy in a roundabout way -- my "guru" Joe told me about Marianne, who wasn't taking on any new clients but had mentored Candy; she gave me Candy's # and I've been SO happy with her work! Plus, she is so professional -- always schedules the next trim before leaving, shows up totally on time, etc. After dealing with farriers who don't answer calls and will maybe show up today and maybe next week, she is a breath of fresh air.

Alana said...

Hey eventer, we can have purdy Carolina feet too! Of course, this winter all 3 had soggy feet, but where I live has entered 'severe drought' levels and their feet have never looked better! I am trying to be positive, severe drought is horrible.
Salem's hooves are looking super! And those frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

smazourek said...

That's why I'm heading out to Oregon in August! I can't wait!

Frizzle said...

Awesome, smazourek! I'm sure you will learn a TON!

baystatebrumby said...

What a great frog! I sure wish my horse had rock crunchers hooves!!!