A big part of me wants to let my Spoiled Brat flag fly for this post, but I've decided to curb the greediness troll and not allow myself to list things like "custom Arc de Triomphe saddle" or "$10,000 Dover shopping spree" or "sapphire-encrusted spurs." I'll stick to the 10 most pressing wants/needs for my Princess Pony, some of which I'll be purchasing in the not-too-distant future, and others that will have to wait.
1) Fly Sheet -- South Florida has recently become Land of Giant Swarms of Flying Arthropods, and it's making us all miserable. Yes, Salem has a fly mask and fly boots and I soak him with gallons of fly spray; but the army of insects is massive and relentless. Poor Salem! I am looking for a fly sheet that is light-colored (preferably white), has a belly band and neck cover, and ideally is made of fly-repellent fabric. Unfortunately, I haven't found one that's affordable and has good reviews. Any suggestions?
2) KER's Equishure -- This is a hind-gut buffer that reduces symptoms of hind-gut acidosis. Am I obsessed with Salem's GI tract? Why, yes, yes I am. But Salem is still leaving some of his gorgeous soft green orchard/alfalfa hay, and that has me perplexed. He also has been occasionally weaving in his stall, something he never did in the six months he was with me a year ago. I'd like to try Equishure and see if it can help with some of these symptoms.
3) High Velocity Fan -- I already have one of these installed in Salem's stall, but I feel like it isn't enough; the heat index has been consistently over 100 degrees lately. And if I put him in a fly sheet, I think this one is a necessity.
4) Fly Predators -- See item #1! I have said, "We need fly predators!" until I'm blue in the face, but nobody seems to listen. Heck, if every boarder pitched in a few $s every month, we could make it possible. In an ideal world, we would have started with these a few months ago. As things stand now, I don't think we'll have them at all. :-/
5) Keratex Hoof Gel -- It usually rains about 6 days a week from May-October here, but this year it seemed like Monsoon Season would never come. Well, it's finally here (and thank goodness; the Everglades have been burning, and I've walked out the door to a thick, acrid haze of smoke far too many times). Now that it's raining almost every day, I need to start protecting Salem's precious hooves from excess moisture; and Keratex Hoof Gel is the best product for the task! I'll be picking some up tomorrow.
6) Automatic Waterer -- Sure, the Princess Pony already has two huge buckets and an automatic waterer in his stall. But he usually drains the buckets before I arrive, and I'm not sure if he drinks from the waterer; it has rust in it! Yes, I've cleaned it and scrubbed it...but I don't think it meets Salem's standards. I'd love to buy him a Nelson waterer with a water consumption meter; but this pricey item will have to wait a while. Third bucket it is!
7) Mowl -- Salem is a grain-flinger and bowl-flipper extraordinaire. And while wetting his food usually curbs this behavior, it's certainly not a guarantee. I would love to get him a Mowl, which is a rubber dish with a giant rubber mat attached to it; this thing is unflippable! Unfortunately, at $69.95 + freight, I won't be clicking "Add to Cart" any time soon. Maybe I could make a ghetto mowl with Salem's current rubber feeder, a big mat, and some Krazy Glue?
8) Back on Track sheet -- I admit, the BoT craze has me a bit flummoxed. Some studies show that keeping leg tendons cool while working is imperative, while others suggest that heat from BoT leg wraps with ceramic magic-ness is therapeutic. Me = confused. Whatever. I know so many people who have this sheet and rave about it, and I want to be a member of that club. Yes, it's blazingly hot here at the moment, but it's not mystical magical powdered unicorn-horn/ceramic BoT heat! Maybe this sheet could help the sore muscles in Salem's right hip/back/butt-cheek, and if so I don't really care how it works.
9) Liberty Training Book And/Or DVD -- I've been doing some at-liberty work with Salem lately (since we can't do much else). I'm no Sylvia Zerbini and I've already gotten to the bottom of my (very shallow) bag of tricks. I'm not sure what else to work on with Salem, or how. The DVD in the link above is one of the few that I've found. Does anyone have other suggestions? (But I have to warn you -- I am not at all interested in giving money to the hypocritical money grubbers whose name starts with a P and ends in an elli!) For those of you who have never seen Sylvia Zerbini, you must watch this clip:
10) Although this is the last "want," it's by far the most important: The ability to take Salem to the best equine clinic in the area and say, "Whatever diagnostics and treatments he needs, do it. Spare no expense!"
So, what are you guys yearning for at the moment (besides a money tree and/or winning lottery ticket)?
7 hours ago